Every profession is demanding, but some challenges are unique to the field, such as the nursing field. The job requires discipline and commitment, plus there is the added weight of comforting sick people daily. Naturally, to do this type of job requires a certain level of physical comfort. In addition to a safe working environment, a nurse who spends most of the day on his feet will need the right footwear.
The best shoes for nurses should not only fit well; they should reduce stress on the feet. Slip resistance and support are vital for footwear for this professional group. A hospital can be a hectic setting, and nurses often have to move quickly, which increases the risks of slips and falls. People often forget that there are many men in this profession, so they might focus more on getting the right shoes for women. Male nurses might have a more difficult time getting the proper footwear to allow them to be comfortable when on their feet all day. This list of best shoes for nurses should help any male nurse who wants quickly search and locate shoes for work.
See also: How to Measure Your Feet for Shoes
Top 12 Best Shoes for Male Nurses
Skechers Men’s Max 54601
The Go Walk Max by Skechers is a superb find for nurses, who desire exceptional coziness, remarkable cushioning, and secure fit ankles. With this sneaker, those 12-hour shifts will become a cakewalk for your feet. The Go Walk Max was designed for athletic walking and that means it is well equipped to endure the additional strain from wearing the shoes all day while attending to your everyday nursing duties. Keep reading to discover other reasons why this Skechers sneaker is ranked among the best shoes for male nurses.
- 100 percent textile
- Synthetic sole
- Mesh fabric upper
- Goga Max Technology insole plus high-rebound cushioning
- Lace-up construction
- Machine washable shoe construction
Skechers has maintained its global leadership in the shoe manufacture industry with the GO Walk Max – 54601 Sneaker. The shoe was crafted using Skechers Performance Technology and it delivers impressive cushioning and comfort. It is therefore easy to see why many nurses opt for these shoes for their everyday activities.
The footwear is exceptionally lightweight owing to its mesh fabric upper and its firm weave mesh fabric toe plus heel panels help deliver loads of stability to the wearer’s feet. The well-padded heel, tongue, and collar will provide you with additional coziness as you go about your duties and the synthetic overlays next to the laces help make the shoes a lot more stable. All these means that your feet will get all the support they require to keep you going, pain-free.
The Goga Max technology employed in making the shoe delivers smart cushioning to reduce fatigue. The interesting part is that the shoes are offered in a range of color choices and are machine washable. Moreover, you will not have to break the bank to get a pair of these quality Skechers sneakers.
See also: How Should Sneakers Fit?
- Extremely lightweight
- Very comfortable
- Offered at a reasonable price
- Breathes well
- Trendy design
- A few users report that the shoe requires some break-in time
New Balance Men’s 608 V5
The perfect pair of nursing shoes is not simple to find and the reason is not far-fetched. Finding the appropriate pair of nursing shoes is not simple because each nurse has his/her own set of preferences and requirements concerning shoes. The 608 V5 from New Balance is a versatile choice that provides astonishing support and traction. The shoe comes with the latest shoe technology from New Balance. It features outsole flex grooves for enhanced flexibility. The outsole is slip-resistant, and it has ABZORB cushioning for stable shock absorption irrespective of your style of walking. If you wish to learn more about why the NB 608 V5 is one of the best shoes for male nurses, keep reading.
- 100 percent leather upper
- NB Comfort Insert
- ABZORB Technology
- Rubber sole
- Dual-Density Collar Foam
- Flexible Outsole
Several nurses who have worn this NB cross trainer for extended work hours are contented that it provides great comfort. The shoe became the preferred choice for nurses on feet all day as it features dual-density collar foam and a novel foam insole that helps ensure the ankles are not irritated during long work hours. Several customers have noted that the footwear requires no break-in period, and some stated that the footwear provides a fantastic fit and support.
Another reason the NB Men’s 608 V5 Casual Comfort Cross Trainer is so comfortable is because of ABZORB cushioning placed within the midfoot. ABZORB technology is New Balance’s most well-known technological breakthrough in the running shoe world. ABZORB cushioning delivers exceptional shock absorption for enhanced comfort.
A pair of nursing shoes cannot be said to be functional if it does not help to prevent slips and falls on sleek hospital floors. This is why a non-slip outsole is so vital. The outsole of the 608 V5 does not slip easily, which means you can enjoy superior traction no matter how wet and slippery the surface is.
Additionally, this impressively cushioned shoe features flex grooves that run the entire span of the outsole. Apart from ensuring enhanced mobility, these flex grooves also add to the coziness of the footwear so you can go about your duties in comfort.
As regards support, some customers say the support offered by the shoe is only moderate. Nevertheless, the shoe is designed to support custom orthotics. Several customers report that despite the limited support offered by the shoe, they did not have to use external arch supports or orthotics and that they had no issues wearing the trainer all day long.
See also: Best Slip-On Shoes for Nurses
- Has impressive traction
- Reasonable arch support
- Comfortable fit
- Non-slip outsole
- Versatile construction
- Moderate support
K-Swiss Men’s ST329 CMF
Inspired by the brand’s tennis shoes, this offering is clearly built for a lot of wear and tear. It is 100% synthetic and has a leather upper. It has a sporty look and also seems suitable for athletic training, which should make it appealing to men. The lace-up front of these K-Swiss memory foam shoes is a simple yet effective design. The lack of excessive stitch lines makes this ideal for a practical working environment. The thick double rubber outsole promises durability and the necessary support for anyone who has to be on their feet for hours at a time.
- The memory foam sock liner will keep the feet comfortable.
- The textile collar lining enhances the durability of the shoe.
- The molded midsole enhances the fit and adds to the feeling of comfort.
- It has a padded tongue, so there will be no pressure on the top of the foot.
- The shoe is not very breathable, so this might be an issue for people who have sweaty feet.
- Some buyers have complained about difficulty finding the right fit.
Crocs Specialist II Clog
Clogs have become a popular choice for people who constantly move around on the job such as nurses. The Specialist II Clog from Crocs addresses vital concerns like comfort, stability, and support. The simple, molded design makes it suitable for professionals who want a basic look while maintaining their professionalism. The molded design also gives it a touch of convenience, as there are no laces to tie. It is 100% synthetic and durable enough to stand up to frequent long workdays.
See also: Can Nurses Wear Crocs?
- This shoe has excellent traction so that nurses can move around speedily without worry.
- It has a high platform that comfortably bears the wearer’s weight and helps to take the pressure off the feet and lower joints.
- The molded design makes these shoes easy to clean.
- There is no need to worry about stitching coming loose.
- Some wearers find them a bit too roomy, which can be problematic as constant rubbing against areas of the foot can cause blisters or chafing.
- There are occasional sizing issues with this shoe, and there are no half sizes available.
- It is not breathable, so, some wearers may have problems with sweating feet.
- The ridges in the footbed are designed for comfort, but not all users are happy with them.
OOFOS Unisex OOCloog Clog
These clogs are not only among the best shoes for nurses, but they can also help people who are recovering from some types of injuries. It is built to support natural movement and cradles the entire foot. This line has been upgraded; some added features of this shoe include enhanced comfort and durability. It was designed to decrease pressure on the feet and joints, making it ideal for anyone who works long hours. This clog can also serve as a walking shoe. For added convenience, you can toss these shoes in the washing machine.
See also: Can Women Wear Men’s Shoes?
- This shoe provides superior arch support making it one of the best nursing shoes for flat feet.
- It is very good at absorbing impact, so you are less likely to get fatigued even in high-pressure situations.
- It is bacteria resistant, which is important for working in a hospital or healthcare facility.
- The rubber sole gives the shoe good traction.
- There are no half sizes available, so some men may have sizing problems when trying to find the right pair.
- These shoes may feel a bit snug on wider feet.
- The material can cause feet to sweat, and they are not very breathable at the front. It might be necessary to wear socks to help keep the feet dry and prevent odor.
Crocs Unisex Bistro Clog
This shoe was made to suit the needs of people who spend most of the day moving around, such as nurses. The design makes it one of the best nursing shoes for flat feet, and it has a durable synthetic sole. These lightweight shoes will never make you feel like your feet are dragging. Despite being lightweight, these shoes are sturdy and built for working and moving around. The enclosed toe design offers good coverage for the feet. It also has a strap to keep the shoes secure so there is no need to worry about them slipping off. This Crocs is unisex, making them perfect for both male and female nurses.
See also: Men’s to Women’s Shoe Size
- The slip-resistant treads allow you to wear them with confidence.
- These shoes have contoured footbeds that keep the feet from slipping and make them more comfortable.
- Most users report less foot pain even after long workdays in these shoes.
- The molded design makes it easy to wash these shoes with soap and water quickly.
- They are not breathable, so they can cause the feet to get sweaty. This can be a problem for people who usually have foot odors.
- These shoes do not come in half sizes.
Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Shoe
This shoe is the right choice for anyone who wants a casual and practical look while getting plenty of functionality. It is easy to slip on these shoes and get right to work. The Merrell Men’s Encore slip-on shoe makes walking comfortable. The great traction keeps the wearer safe regardless of their pace. It has thick heels with air-cushioning helps to cushion every footfall and keep stress off the knees and ankles. This shoe has a padded collar that will mold itself to the shape of the foot. This is a good option for male nurses when they are off duty, as they are casual enough for different settings.
- The sole has a unique grip texture to prevent slipping.
- The Ortholite footbed makes this shoe very comfortable for working long hours.
- The foot frame is molded to provide the wearer with extra stability.
- It has a breathable mesh lining to keep the feet dry, making it ideal for male nurses.
- Some people complain about having to size down to get the right fit with this shoe.
- They are a bit pricey when compared to similar shoes.
Merrell Men’s Encore Bypass Shoe
One of the first things you will notice is the attractive mesh design, which sets this shoe apart from many other types of shoes for male nurses. This is a comfortable slip-on shoe that suits the hectic daily life of the male nurse. With a synthetic sole and a roughly 2-inch heel, these shoes are made for lots of walking around. The thick sole offers a high level of protection for the feet when outdoors. This product delivers on the level of quality people have come to expect from the Merrell brand.
- The contoured footbed adapts to the movement of the foot with each step.
- These shoes are durable, so you will not have to replace them too quickly.
- The mesh design makes them more breathable than similar shoes of this type, so the feet should feel comfortable during long workdays.
- This is a lightweight shoe that provides plenty of support.
- The inner lining does not breathe well, and it is not very durable.
- There have been complaints of the back of the shoe slipping off the heel, usually after the shoes have been worn for a long period.
- The lightweight feel means they give up a bit of stability when compared to other shoes of this type.
Rockport Men’s Chranson
Aside from the clever name, there are many other reasons why Rockport Men’s walking shoes are among the best shoes for nurses. One look will tell you that this is a shoe built for durability. The lace-up front closure and metal eyelets complement the overall rugged look. It has a padded tongue and collar for a relaxed feel and a synthetic sole for superior traction on different surfaces. Minimal stitching keeps the look of this shoe simple and practical. It is 100% leather, so it offers good protection for the feet, and there is a suede tip to enhance the design. The shoes have an easy flexibility about them, so you can walk comfortably and pick up the pace when necessary without feeling any resistance.
See also: How to Add Grip to Shoes
- It is effective at absorbing shock, so it minimizes stress on the feet and joints.
- It can be used for light trail walking and generally does very well in the outdoors.
- The mesh lining assists breathability and helps with drying after the shoes have been washed.
- These shoes are not the best choice for high moisture environments. They can also become soggy if you wear them in the rain.
- After repeated use, the suede tip may start to separate from the shoe.
- There have been a few complaints of the hell collapsing after long-term use.
Dansko Men’s Wynn Clog
This product hits all the right notes for male nurses; comfort, a stylish look, and durability. The casual style of the Dansko Men’s Wynn Slip-on Cog allows you to wear these shoes with almost any outfit in different settings. With a soft lining for comfort and exceptional support, these shoes are made to help nurses get through a tough workday. Anyone who owns a pair will enjoy the quick slip-on and slip-off convenience. The padded collar helps to give these shoes a secure fit. With a gentle feel inside and toughness on the outside, these might be the best shoes for nurses. The style of these well-built shoes makes them compatible with both dress pants and jeans.
- The footbed cradles the feet adequately for even weight distribution and provides excellent arch support.
- The shoes provide a good level of shock absorption so there is less stress on the feet and back.
- They offer excellent traction, so they help to make the workplace safer.
- The footbed of this shoe can be removed to accommodate custom orthotics.
- This is one of the pricier nursing shoe options available.
- The softer leather material can be easily scuffed, possibly giving the shoes an unsightly appearance over time.
- There have been a few reports of the sole coming loose due to heavy use.
- It does not have as much arch support as other similar types of shoes that are popular among nurses.
Rockport Men’s Eberdon Loafer
Enjoy the strength and beauty of full-grain leather with the Rockport Men’s Eberdon Loafer. The texture gives the shoe a touch of ruggedness complemented by minimal stitching. The padded collar adds to the feel of comfort and keeps the shoes from slipping off the back of the feet. These shoes are stable and fit the shape of the feet to give a sense of lightness and control. They help to decrease foot fatigue with a latex lining. Although they are lightweight, they are durable enough to suit high pace work environments. The mesh lining helps with breathability and the rubber outsole provides solid traction. For people who like to travel, this one pair can cover different needs, and can even be worn with dress shirts and pants.
- These shoes require a minimal breaking-in period.
- They flex easily with each step to enable natural movement and prevent overpronation.
- The casual but stylish look allows you to wear these shoes outside of work.
- Some buyers have encountered sizing problems.
- They are more suitable for narrow feet, so some men with wide feet may find them uncomfortable.
Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker
Male nurses who want the right amount of support plus a casual shoe they can wear for different activities should consider the Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker walking shoes. Since these are walking shoes, they are suitable for daily exercise, which also means they can handle the wear and tear of a busy health facility. The stitching lines give it the look of an average athletic trainer, but they are kept to a minimum. It is 100% leather with a synthetic sole. These are comfortable shoes that offer a high level of arch support.
See also: How Much Height Do Shoes Add?
- These shoes are slip-resistant.
- They help to keep the feet and ankles stable and enable natural movement.
- The cushioning easily molds to the wearer’s feet regardless of their weight, providing relaxed movement.
- There have been a few instances of the rubber peeling at the toe area.
- They do not have the level of breathability that nurses generally need.
How to Choose the Best Shoes for Male Nurses?
While their female counterparts outnumber them, male nurses have many of the same concerns. One of the most important is comfortable footwear that allows them to perform well on the job. Apart from the long hours they have to work, nurses often face situations that force them to work extra shifts. This means spending more time on the feet than the average person does. The shoes they wear should be comfortable, and they should be constructed in such a way as to minimize the risk of developing common foot conditions. Also worth noting, is that the wrong choice of footwear can cause or worsen foot problems.
Before you even try a pair of shoes be conscious of whether you have a foot condition such as plantar fasciitis or fallen arches. Either one can cause pain or discomfort, but this can be worsened by the typical daily routine of the average nurse. When dealing with plantar fasciitis for example, it is best to avoid shoes with very high heels. Arch problems on the other hand, will necessitate extra attention being paid to stability and shock absorption.
Since there are so many shoe brands that may claim to meet the needs of nurses, using these tips should help in selecting the ideal pair.
Opt for a Wide Toe Box
Proper width in the toe box allow the toes to spread out naturally when you are standing barefoot. As the foot adopts a more natural position, there is less pain and discomfort, even when you have to wear the shoes for long hours. If the toe box is too small, it can pinch the toes and affect blood flow. Shoes with narrow toe box can cause pain after just a few hours f wear. Since men tend to have wider feet, they should avoid shoes that appear narrow or that are known to run small.
Pay Attention to Breathability
A common complaint when wearing shoes for long periods is getting sweaty feet. This varies depending on the person, but even a small amount of sweet on the feet can cause shoes to feel swampy and uncomfortable. Some shoes have mesh uppers that naturally encourage better air to flow. One useful feature is a wick that helps to absorb sweat and prevent the swampy feeling.
See also: Best Breathable Shoes for Nurses
Slip Resistance is Vital
The combination of the hectic pace and the use of various liquid compounds can make a hospital setting a hazardous environment. Spills are common, and the best way to protect yourself is to wear shoes that have slip-resistant rubber soles.
Make Sure there is Cushioning
Standing or walking for hours puts a lot of stress on the feet. This stress is transferred to the joints when you move. With proper cushioning, there will be no need to constantly shift your body weight to be comfortable.
Stability and Support
These factors affect not just the feet, but also the legs and lower back. Proper shoes help to keep the ankles in a neutral position whether you are standing or walking. This is especially important for people who tend to overpronate. Shoes should amply support the feet and ankles to reduce the risk of leg and lower back pain. In fact, nurses who already have these issues may benefit from wearing supportive shoes. Excessive walking can lead to fallen arches, so choose shoes with adequate arch support for the continued health of your feet.
Look at the Design of the Shoes
The range of shoes available is highly diverse in terms of design, shape and color. Many design features contribute directly to the wearer’s comfort and foot health. If the sole has rockered geometry, the indented heel tends to absorb shock from each step, and create a natural flow of energy to the forefoot. Some features like a padded tongue and collar are useful for nurses who want a bit more comfort.
Make Sure they are Lightweight:
Wearing heavy shoes for long periods can affect a nurse’s performance. It is vital that nurses’ shoes are lightweight for functionality and comfort. They should be able to move quickly.
Purchasing the wrong pair of shoes can lead to more than just regret. Poor-fitting shoes that are not suitable can lead to pain due to lack of support or an injury after falling. Two shoes that seem identical in terms of size and features may actually function differently, so it is important to choose the one that suits your specific needs.
See also: Cheap Shoes for Nurses
Nursing shoes vary in price, so the budget has to be taken into consideration. Buying the cheapest shoes comes with the obvious risk of getting low-quality materials and substandard workmanship. Low-priced shoes are unlikely to have the kinds of features that will help in maintaining your health. Also some shoes come with a warranty so you may be able to replace them or get a refund if you are not satisfied. Always be prepared to spend a bit more on brands that have a reputation for making quality shoes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Shoe to Wear for Male Nurses?
What Shoes are the Best for the Male Nurses?
What are the Best Shoes for Standing Around and Walking All Day for Men?
Why do Doctors and Nurses Wear a Specific Type of Shoe?
Conclusion: Best Shoes for Male Nurses
Anyone looking for the best shoes for nurses should not feel like the options are limited. It all depends on your budget and your taste for style and color. Most male nurses will not be searching for flashy shoes, but a little bit of style will of course appeal to some buyers. Overall matching style with comfortable and affordability increases the appeal. If you are on a tight budget, it makes sense to invest in a pair of shoes that you can wear in different settings and with different outfits.
While comfort is a prime consideration, you can only determine this after you have bought the shoes. This is a good reason to pay attention to the features of each option. Breathability is one factor that varies depending on the brand. Some molded shoes for example, may not look breathable, but they may have an interior mesh lining that pulls sweat away from the feet. If you have flat arches or pronation issues, a thick, supportive sole is essential. This will minimize pain even after spending hours walking around. Shoe brands with proprietary features design to increase comfort and stability are worth a second look. Lastly, keep in mind that if you plan to use these shoes outside of work, this means additional wear and tear. In this case, it makes sense to look at a high-end brand or consider buying an extra pair.